Remission for Type 2 Diabetes? Yes, it’s possible!
About 90% of the Diabetes in Canada is Type 2 Diabetes. Studies in Canada, the UK and the United States have shown that, if you do the work, it’s sometimes possible to put Type 2 Diabetes into remission.
If you’re at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes, have been diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic or have been recently diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, the Fighting Diabetes program at Our Clinic gives you access to personalized care for your diet, physical health and mental health.
How do I know if I’m at risk?
- Being overweight is a main risk factor for Type 2 diabetes. But keep in mind that even people who aren’t overweight can develop Type 2 Diabetes.
- Where are you storing your fat? If you store fat mainly in the abdomen, you have a greater risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- A lack of physical activity puts you at risk. Being active helps control your weight, uses up glucose as energy and makes your cells more sensitive to insulin.
- The risk of Type 2 Diabetes increases if your parent or sibling has type 2 diabetes.
- People of some races — including black, Hispanic, First Nations and Asian-Canadian people — are more likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes than Caucasians.
- The risk of Type 2 Diabetes increases as you get older, especially after age 45. Unfortunately, Type 2 Diabetes is also increasing dramatically among children, adolescents and younger adults.
- If you developed Gestational Diabetes when you were pregnant, your risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes increases.
- If you gave birth to a baby weighing more than 4 kilograms, you're also at risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- For women, having polycystic ovarian syndrome — a common condition characterized by irregular menstrual periods, excess hair growth and obesity — increases the risk of diabetes.
- Areas of darkened skin, usually in the armpits and neck. This condition often indicates insulin resistance.
10-week Fighting Diabetes starter program
London location only
If you have extended health benefits from your employer, some or all the cost for this program may be covered by your benefits. Our Staff is happy to assist you to find out if this program and other services are covered under your extended health care policy or benefits.
It’s going to be work. It won’t be easy. The Fighting Diabetes Starter program from Our Clinic is designed with that understanding – it’s going to be hard work. You need personal motivation, the knowledge to make the change and the tools to do it. We provide that motivation, educate you so you make informed decisions and give you the tools to change your life.
Why do this instead of just changing my diet?
Changing your diet is a good step to fighting your diabetes however it takes more to point you in the direction of possible remission.
The right kind of exercise – something designed just for you based on clinical studies and science – complements modifications in your diet. Your personal kinesiologist works with you and your team of experts at Our Clinic to make sure every exercise counts.
You get diet design and support as well from a highly educated, experienced dietitian. The dietitian coaches and motivates you on your journey to the good choices that can change your life.
Mental wellness is a key to the success of any change in your life. The Fighting Diabetes program recognizes this and incorporates mental wellness into your plan.
Sample Fighting Diabetes Starter Program
London location only
Session 1 – Getting started
Your first visit is your free assessment with our Nurse Concierge who will review your health history and your health goals. She’ll help identify any health risks that need to be considered in the development of your personalized program.
Session 2 – Exercise is good
Fitness assessment then stretching and strengthening exercises design for you to do at home. Take your journal home to track what you eat each day.
Session 3 - Your diet matters
Meet with the dietitian to review your journal and discuss the changes you need to make. Your exercise workout will have been developed by the physiotherapy team based on your assessments and desired goals.
Session 4 – Diet follow-up, Mental health, and Exercise (special 90 minute session)
Have you made any changes based on what you learned? Journaling what you eat and how you feel about your exercise plan, including questions you want to ask, keeps your program moving. Meet with the dietitian to review your journal.
Spend some time with the mental wellness counsellor to discuss barriers to change, state of mind and your circle of influence.
Check in on your exercise plan and whether it needs modification.
Session 5 – Mental wellness is a work in progress
More discussion with your mental wellness counsellor on how you’re doing in the program, how your friends and family are supporting you and how to get over any barriers. Check in with your kinesiologist on your exercise program.
Session 6 – Full out diet review
Spend an hour with the dietitian to get a full diet plan based on your journaling and where you need to be on the path to wellness. Plan to do your exercises at Our Clinic or on your own.
Session 7 – Strength, Stamina and Flexibility
Personal exercise program is enhanced and training on how to modify your routine to a fitness gym, at home, at work and more.
Session 8 – Mental health and exercise
Check in with your mental health counsellor to get coping techniques, stress management tips and mindfulness coaching to help you stay focused on your goal. Meet with your kinesiologist to expand your exercise program. Get your free IV Vitamin Therapy or Aqua pillow!
Session 9 – Are you on track?
Meet with the dietitian to review your journaling, show off how good you’ve gotten with your exercise plan.
Session 10 – Assessment
Redo the fitness assessment from session two, discuss how to incorporate the changes into everyday life. Schedule any appointments with practitioners who can support your health beyond this program – dietitian, physiotherapist, chiropractor, massage therapy, mental health.
The Fighting Diabetes Intermediate program is available after you complete the Starter program. The Intermediate program rotates through diet support, mental wellness counselling and physiotherapy team’s input on modifying your exercise plan.
For more information or to sign up for the program, contact us today.